[Samba] Should %U work in include statements?

Gary Algier gaa at ulticom.com
Thu Dec 9 22:37:35 GMT 2004

I am trying to upgrade a samba installation from 2.2.7 to 3.0.9
and I have statements like:
     include = /etc/samba/special/%U
This works fine with 2.2.7, but fails with 3.0.[4679].

When I first connect I see the user-specific shares defined in the
config file.  However, if I try to access it, I get an error:
         \\carp\sharename
         The network name cannot be found.
If I browse into a common directory, that works.  When I return
to the top of the tree, the user specific entries have disappeared.

If I look at the logs, I see it trying to access "special/gaa"
the first time, then it tries "special/" every other time.

I remember this was a problem along about 2.2.4 only with Windows 2k.
It worked fine with Windows NT and Win9x.  However, back then it
tried to access "special/unknown".  I kludged around it by
creating a master config file by that name which was the concatenation
of all the user specific config files.  This results in a huge list
of shares that gets our users confused so I don't want to do the same
thing again.  Besides, I can't have a directory _and_ a file with
the same name.

Just in case, I tried it also with:
     include = /etc/samba/special/%u
as I am not sure when one uses %U vs. %u.  That fails even on the first
access, so that must not be it.

Did the fix for 2.2.* not make it into 3.0.*?

As an alternative, is there a way to make shares only show if the user has
at least read access?  Then I would not need to create these special files
and I would be able to let standard ACLS or other permissions mechanisms
control the visibility.

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ          gaa at ulticom.com             +1 856 787 2758
Ulticom Inc., 1020 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054      Fax:+1 856 866 2033

Nielsen's First Law of Computer Manuals:
     People don't read documentation voluntarily.