[Samba] Snap Server fails to join Samba PDC Domain

Gerry Valle gerry at qcworld.com
Thu Dec 9 17:03:55 GMT 2004

I have a Snap Server which runs some imbedded version of Samba (I'm
thinking 3.X).  I'm try to migrate from an NT PDC to a Samba 3.0.9 PDC
(running on FreeBSD 4.10).

The migration is mostly successful -- all the profiles have been moved,
client authentication works great, password changes work fine, etc.
My major problem is that the Snap Server fails to find the Samba PDC.

However, if I instead boot up the NT PDC, it joins the domain no problem.
Once the Snap Server fails to join the domain, no users can be
authenticated to access any of its file shares because it only knows
about its own local users (just the admin account).  I've since discovered
that the Snap uses winbindd to get domain user info from the NT PDC.  Why
would the Snap grab the user info easily from the NT PDC and never from
the Samba PDC?  Do I need to run winbindd on the Samba PDC as well?
Is the Snap looking for something on the Samba PDC that it isn't finding,
but that is located on the NT PDC?

The Snap Server is sort of a black box, since nearly everything is
scripted to run through the web interface.  I can make changes to
its Samba configuration, but it should work as seamlessly with the
Samba PDC as it does with the NT PDC.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated (I've attached my smb.conf from
the Samba PDC).

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = QCBERK
         server string = Nina Williams...Wins!
         bind interfaces only = Yes
         passdb backend = tdbsam:/usr/local/samba/private/passdb.tdb
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         passwd chat = "Changing local password for *\nNew password*" %n\n
"\nRetype new password*" %n\n
         log level = 2
         log file = /var/log/smb.log
         smb ports = 139 445
         name resolve order = wins lmhosts
         time server = Yes
         add user script = /usr/sbin/pw useradd -m -n "%u" -s /bin/tcsh -c "QC
User"
         delete user script = /usr/sbin/pw userdel -r -n "%u"
         add group script = /usr/sbin/pw groupadd %g
         delete group script = /usr/sbin/pw groupdel %g
         add user to group script = /usr/sbin/pw usermod -G %g -n "%u"
         add machine script = /usr/sbin/pw useradd -s /sbin/nologin -c "QC
Samba Machine" -d /dev/null -n "%u"
         logon script = scripts\%U.bat
         logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
         domain logons = Yes
         os level = 60
         preferred master = Yes
         domain master = Yes
         wins server = 192.168.XX.XX
         admin users = gerry, GerryV, Administrator

[netlogon]
         comment = Network Logon Service
         path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
         write list = gerry, @wheel