[Samba] ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers vs ou=Users

John Schmerold john at katy.com
Thu Dec 9 14:44:01 GMT 2004

The SBMLDAP howto (
http://www.idealx.org/prj/samba/smbldap-howto.en.html ) states that:
    ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers

Is the correct approach to defining machines in the LDAP directory. Yet
the advise offered by this group seems to be that, no we should be using :
    ldap machine suffix = ou=Users

We are having problems with a new server that have been attributed to
our use of the FAQ's approach & will change back to this group's
approach, however I'd like to know if anyone know's why there's a
discrepancy & why the FAQ says one thing the group another. Not trying
to start any kind of holy war, just seeking to understand so my systems
work correctly.

TIA

John

PS: I suspect different versions of Samba have different answers to
above. I'm working with Samba version 3.0.9-1.fc3 I believe this is
latest & greatest.  Speaking for myself, I'm most interested in answer
to above in the context of latest version of Samba.