[Samba] Reality Check -> Roaming Profiles

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Thu Dec 9 01:07:03 GMT 2004

Disclaimer... I know Roaming Profiles are a modern day example of "the emperor’s new cloths". I also know that 2+2=4.

Let's think Linux/Unix here a second. Preference files are stored in the user's home dir. A user can log in (text or X) multiple times, they will always get the same home dir. Thus each login instance
will share those config files.

The same just happens to be true of Windows clients logging into a Linux box ala Samba PDC. So why exactly is the general response to this that it is not working properly and needs to be corrected? I
guess maybe I never will understand until I decide to ware rose colored glasses all the time.

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems