[Samba] Samba - Joining AD and OU issues

Wayne Rasmussen wayne at mail.gomonarch.com
Thu Dec 9 00:21:25 GMT 2004

Windows 2000 Server named adtest.com as PDC.
Solaris 9 server with SAMBA 3.0.7.

I am trying to get a handle on the OU issue I am having. Suppose the PDC
adtest.com has 100 OU such as
a1, a2, a3, ..., a98, a99, a100.

On the Solaris Server I am doing:

kinit Administrator at adtest.com
type in Administrator password
nmbd; smbd; winbindd -B
net ads join

When I do wbinfo -g or getent passwd I see all the accounts in all the OU.
Suppose I only want one or two OUs?  Imagine that I want a7 only, do I have
to create a special account within OU a7 (such as a7adadmin) and use kinit
a7adadmin? If so, then what do I need to have specifically two OUs, a7 and
a12?

The second question I have is that kinit always prompts for a password is
there a better way to do this?

Thank you,
Wayne