[Samba] ADS Authentication

Tom Skeren tms3 at fsklaw.net
Wed Dec 8 15:31:46 GMT 2004

Edward Wissner wrote:

>What did you change in your smb.conf file?

Well, I managed to get samba to authenticate, however, continued
winbindd problems make the setup worthless.  Group searches fail, or are
incomplete.  Domain users and groups list without domain id.  net
groupmap fails.  Attempts to re-join via "net ads join" fail.

If your interested, I have copied all the relevant config files here:

_*smb.conf:*_

workgroup = FSK
 realm = FSKLAW.NET
 server string = SSERVER
 netbios name = SSERVER
 security = ADS
 client schannel = Yes
 server schannel = Yes
 passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://w2000.fsklaw.net
 socket options = TCP_NODELAY
 dns proxy = No
 ldap admin dn = cn=Administrator,cn=users,DC=fsklaw,DC=net
 ldap suffix = DC=fsklaw,DC=net
 idmap uid = 10000-20000
 idmap gid = 10000-20000
 winbind separator = /
 winbind enum users = No
 winbind enum groups = No
 winbind use default domain = Yes
 dos filemode = Yes
 acl compatibility = win2k
        inherit acls = yes
        inherit permissions = yes

[FSK]
   path = /home/FSK
   public = yes
   only guest = no
   browseable = yes
   writeable = yes
   printable = no
   create mask = 0777
   force create mode = 0777
   force directory mode = 0777
   directory security mask = 0777

_*ldap.conf:
*_
host w2000.fsklaw.net
base dc=fsklaw,dc=net
ldap_version 3
URI ldaps:w2000.fsklaw.net
scope sub
pam_login_attribute Administrator
pam_password md5
idle_timelimit 3600
nss_base_passwd cn=Users,dc=fsklaw,dc=net?one
nss_base_group cn=Users,dc=fsklaw,dc=net?one
ssl on
TLS_CACERT /etc/CA/fsk.pem
tls_ciphers TLSv1
sasl_secprops maxssf=0
krb5_ccname FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0

_*nsswitch.conf:
*_
passwd: files winbind
shadow: files winbind
group: files winbind
hosts: dns winbind ldap files nis
automount: files winbind ldap nisplus
aliases: files winbind ldap nisplus

_*krb5.conf:*_

[logging]
 default = FILE:/var/log/krb5libs.log
 kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5kdc.log

[libdefaults]
 ticket_lifetime = 24000
 default_realm = FSKLAW.NET
 dns_lookup_realm = false
 dns_lookup_kdc = false
 default_etypes = des-cbc-crc des-cbc-md5
 default_etypes_des = des-cbc-crc des-cbc-md5
 default_keytab-name = FILE:/etc/krb5.keytab
[realms]

 FSKLAW.NET = {
  kdc = KERBEROS.FSKLAW.NET
  admin_server = w2000.fsklaw.net
  default_domain= fsklaw.net
 }

[domain_realm]
 .fsklaw.net = FSKLAW.NET
 fsklaw.net = FSKLAW.NET
 .FSKLAW.NET = FSKLAW.NET
.kerberos.server = KERBEROS.FSKLAW.NET
[kdc]
 profile = /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kdc.conf

[pam]
 debug = false
 ticket_lifetime = 36000
 renew_lifetime = 36000
 forwardable = true
 krb4_convert = false

_*pam.d/login:
*_
#
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/pam.d/login,v 1.16 2003/06/14 12:35:05 des Exp $
#
# PAM configuration for the "login" service
#

# auth
auth  required pam_nologin.so  no_warn
auth  sufficient pam_self.so  no_warn
auth  include  system
auth  sufficient /usr/local/lib/pam_winbind.so
# account
account  requisite pam_securetty.so
account  include  system
account  sufficient /usr/local/lib/pam_winbind.so

# session
session  include  system

# password
password include  system