[Samba] Re: Printer driver auto upload.

Buchan Milne bgmilne at obsidian.co.za
Wed Dec 8 14:40:36 GMT 2004

| I have a third party file manager that I use to get Administrator access
| to XP just like you can with konqeror.  It is called FileAnt and it
| totally rocks... but I digress.
|
| I've noticed that I can't browse to my print$ share despite the
| following settings:
|
| | [printers]
| |         comment = All Printers
| |         path = /var/spool/samba
| |         printer admin = root
| |         guest ok = Yes
| |         printable = Yes
| |         browseable = No
| |
| | [print$]
| |         comment = Printer Drivers
| |         path = /var/lib/samba/printers
| |         read only = No
|
| Here is what is especially strange.  If I click on the printer icon with
| FileAnt I get this:
|
| \\Enigma\::{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}
|
| Enigma is the name of my server but what is the SID type info for?

It's a class id, not a SID.

| If I paste it into an explorer box I get the printers subdirectory also.
|
| Q: Is the printers subdirectory synonymous with \\Enigma\printer$ ?  If
| this is the case than I am actually browseing it however I can still not
| create a directory despite the settings above.
|
| I've also noticed something else strange with the perms:
|
| | [root at enigma 0 samba]$ ls -l printers
| | total 20
| | drwxrwsr-x  2 root adm 4096 Nov  9 12:35 W32ALPHA
| | drwxrwsr-x  2 root adm 4096 Nov  9 12:35 W32MIPS
| | drwxrwsr-x  2 root adm 4096 Nov  9 12:35 W32PPC
| | drwxrwsr-x  3 root adm 4096 Dec  6 19:33 W32X86
| | drwxrwsr-x  2 root adm 4096 Nov  9 12:35 WIN40
| | [root at enigma 0 samba]$
|
| What is the S for?

setgid

|  Somehow I doubt it is supposed to be there.

How else would you sure that the group ownership of the files will
*always* stay correct (access controls should always be applied at the
filesystem level if possible, rather than the share definition).

Anyway, you could check with 'rpm -V' and see that they are as packaged.

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Buchan Milne                      Senior Support Technician
Obsidian Systems                  http://www.obsidian.co.za
B.Eng                                RHCE (803004789010797)