[Samba] Pdf printer by mail with samba 3.0.9-1

Hamish lists at subvs.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 09:36:42 GMT 2004

Mitch (WebCob) wrote:

>The problem of the connectivity error seems to have been persistant for the
>duration of the windows login - so whatever I had screwed up I think I must
>have fixed, but I still have concerns... (and oodles of ideas - I could use
>this same process to create a fax gateway too...)

I also wanted to do a fax gateway, but got sidetracked by another
project (Replacing exchange yay!) Id be really interested in how you get
on with that. Check out http://www.hylafax.org/ before you go on, make
sure you arent re-inventing the wheel! I did not have much time to
investigate, but the thing that worried me was how do you get the
recipient fax number to the fax script?

>[Mitch says:] >One of you had:
>[Mitch says:] >        lpq command = lpq -P'%p'
>[Mitch says:] >        lprm command = lprm -P'%p' %j
>[Mitch says:] >        lppause command = lpc hold '%p' %j
>[Mitch says:] >        lpresume command = lpc release '%p' %j
>[Mitch says:] >        queuepause command = lpc stop '%p'
>[Mitch says:] >        queueresume command = lpc start '%p'
>[Mitch says:] >And one had only lpq and lprm with nothing after the = - I
>[Mitch says:] >tried both ways?!?!
>Further to my other email... The common important element is the line:
>print command = /usr/local/bin/pdfout1.sh %s %u %m %I
>
>When I look at the calls to "lpq -P'%p" etc, they all return errors as %p's
>value (the printer share name) is not defined in printcap - would doing this
>have any purpose? "print command" seems to get called directly from the user
>as the call the print job, which in theory would mean there could be many
>calls to the script at once... ok I guess, but it does mean people should be
>careful with simple file naming systems - ones that rely on the date or
>possibly even the process id could result in duplicate files - right?
>
>Perhaps somehow I should be using lpd to call the script? To create a proper
>queueing process and serialize the conversions? Otherwise couldn't I
>experience the "print-of-death" from my users as 100 of them start to print
>a PDF all at once?

I worried about that too - but with the script the file is named
$DATE-$TIME-$USER.pdf - so unless they figure out how to print more than
one per second per user, it will probably be ok (Not sure how many
simultaneous prints it can do, but its never caused a problem here.