[Samba] Roaming profiles - exclude Application Data from roaming profile

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed Dec 8 04:14:54 GMT 2004

Brett Carruthers wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have a problem with my roaming profiles where they are becoming too
> large due to the Thunderbird mail accounts (stored by default) in
> Application Data. What I would like to do is exclude this directory
> from being part of the roaming profile. How can I do this?

This is a problem for us too, but we tell those that like to hoard data
that they have to deal with the login delay.  It's their choice, learn
or deal, although I do respect that you have migration issues.  The
mailbox files from TBird are actually mbox format so they could go
straight up if you use that, or else you can run mb2md on them to
migrate to maildir, with some manual tweaking or auxilary scripting.

> Also, how hard is it to have some users not use a roaming profile but
> others continuing to use a roaming profile? We have some laptop users
> that don't need roaming but office staff which do benefit from the use
> of roaming profiles.

Very easy.  There are two approaches.
1. Have no roaming profile by default but instead set it on a per user
basis.  Note that I haven't tried this, but I'm seriously considering it.
2. Once the user logs in, you can hit My Computer -> properties, then
under the advanced tab, select the profiles and then hit settings.  You
can change to a local profile here.

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322