[Samba] Re: Printer driver auto upload.

Jim C. jcllings at javahop.com
Tue Dec 7 23:54:14 GMT 2004

I have a third party file manager that I use to get Administrator access
to XP just like you can with konqeror.  It is called FileAnt and it
totally rocks... but I digress.

I've noticed that I can't browse to my print$ share despite the
following settings:

| [printers]
|         comment = All Printers
|         path = /var/spool/samba
|         printer admin = root
|         guest ok = Yes
|         printable = Yes
|         browseable = No
|
| [print$]
|         comment = Printer Drivers
|         path = /var/lib/samba/printers
|         read only = No

Here is what is especially strange.  If I click on the printer icon with
FileAnt I get this:

\\Enigma\::{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}

Enigma is the name of my server but what is the SID type info for?
If I paste it into an explorer box I get the printers subdirectory also.

Q: Is the printers subdirectory synonymous with \\Enigma\printer$ ?  If
this is the case than I am actually browseing it however I can still not
create a directory despite the settings above.

I've also noticed something else strange with the perms:

| [root at enigma 0 samba]$ ls -l printers
| total 20
| drwxrwsr-x  2 root adm 4096 Nov  9 12:35 W32ALPHA
| drwxrwsr-x  2 root adm 4096 Nov  9 12:35 W32MIPS
| drwxrwsr-x  2 root adm 4096 Nov  9 12:35 W32PPC
| drwxrwsr-x  3 root adm 4096 Dec  6 19:33 W32X86
| drwxrwsr-x  2 root adm 4096 Nov  9 12:35 WIN40
| [root at enigma 0 samba]$

What is the S for?  Somehow I doubt it is supposed to be there.

Last problem (that I know of) is that my admin users are all members of
a group called 'Domain Admins' but when I try to add this group to the
write list I get messed up output from testparm:

|        write list = root, @'Domain, Admins'

The comma definately does not belong. Is this a cowinkydink of testparm
or will it actually be interpreted this way?

Jim C.
- --
| I can be reached on the following Instant Messenger services: |
| MSN: j_c_llings @ hotmail.com  AIM: WyteLi0n  ICQ: 123291844  |
| Y!: j_c_llings            Jabber: jcllings @ njs.netlab.cz	|