[Samba] Slow connections via Samba from XP and W2K

Brian Perkins Brian_Perkins at lionbridge.com
Tue Dec 7 20:57:47 GMT 2004

Hi All,

I posted this question a while back but stil haven't found a solution.
When my users use the server IP to connect to the Samba Server (OSX)
they are able to connect with no issues.  However if they use the server
name there is a tremendous performance degradation.  I noticed in the
logs the following error:

[2004/12/07
15:52:49,1]/SourceCache/samba/samba-59/samba/source/smbd/sesssetup.c:rep
ly_spnego_kerberos(248)

            Username Domain\ComputerName$ is invalid on this system.

Could it be that the machine is trying to connect to the share as itself
then as the user?  Thus causing the delay in the connection the folders.
Does anyone have an Idea of how to fix this?

Thanks,

Brian