[Samba] net ads join fails - "Preauthetication failed"

Birger Wathne birger at uib.no
Tue Dec 7 14:51:34 GMT 2004

Sort of solved...

First, I tried stopping smb and winbind and cleaning out all cache files
(/var/cache/samba).
Then joining worked fine for a while. Then it didn't. Whenever it didn't
I got those weird messages with IFTSMB100$@KLIENT.UIB.NO at KLIENT.UIB.NO
again.

Now that problem seems to be fixed, but I still get errors joining. Seen
from the AD side the join succeeds, and I can authenticate against AD as
expected. I'm not sure what this is, but I'll get someone on the AD side
to help me clean out the credentials for IFTSMB100 completely. Does
anyone here know what it takes to get completely rid of all traces of a
host in AD so I can really retry from scratch?

To get to a working setup I had to add a domain-to-realm mapping in
krb5.conf and match the default realm in krb5.conf to the realm in
smb.conf (KLIENT.UIB.NO). This is the realm where computers live in this
setup. Users live in other domains.
My new config files are at http://www.ift.uib.no/~birger/krb5.conf and
http://www.ift.uib.no/~birger/smb.conf

--