[Samba] ADS Authentication

Tom Skeren tms3 at fsklaw.net
Mon Dec 6 22:29:29 GMT 2004

I'm about ready to smash my head through a wall...I could use a few answers.

1.  When using security = ads, and completing net ads join, it was my
understanding that samba authenticated username/pword against ads, and
local posix accounts were nolonger needed, is this true?

2.  If yes, I have not been able to get it to work.  If I have a posix
user account with the same name as one in ADS, even if pwords are
different, I can log on to the samba server.  If no identical posix/ADS
account exists on the samba server, then I cannot connect.  Any ideas as
to where to look would be very helpful, as I am at a complete as to what
to do at this point.