[Samba] Networkbrowsing with different subnetmasks

Ronald RiemVis R.RiemVis at dutondata.nl
Mon Dec 6 22:20:31 GMT 2004

Dear all,

I have a workgroup withonly windows 200 workstations in it and one
Samba version 2.212
The network is bridged with a subnet mask 255.255.255.240

>From the WAN side you get:

Internet > Modem/router > first NIC > firewall and out to LAN via
second NIC
Because the second NIC has no IP address the browsing is done by
the first NIC avoiding that the information is not going out to the WAN
by making the firewall rules.

Altough i did make the sentence inside the firewall pass any from any
i did not get the name of the server vissible in the workgroup.
Only the win2K workstations where visible
The IP parameters where set to subnetmask 255.255.255.240 this
includes all the workstations and the first NIC from the firewall.

After changing the subnetmask to 255.255.255.0  i see the server
joining the workgroup and I could access him.

Could someone give me a answer on the following question:

Is browsing from samba only on the address xxx.xxx.xxx.255 and not
on lower address if used with different subnetmask?
Like subnetmask =255.255.255.240 = 15 IP addresses per group
browse adress first group = xxx.xxx.xxx.15 second group =
xxx.xxx.xxx.31 third group = xxx.xxx.xxx.47 and so on until
xxx.xxx.xxx.255

Regards,

Ronald RiemVis