[Samba] valid characters in domain name

Steve Feehan sfeehan at sbb.uvm.edu
Mon Dec 6 18:53:40 GMT 2004

Hi. Sorry if this is a FAQ but I couldn't find the answer.

What are the valid characters in a samba domain/workgroup name?
Specifically, is the '.' character allowed? Would 'SBB.UVM.EDU'
be a valid domain name? Or would a '-' or '_' be more
appropriate?

I tried to use '.' in a domain name once before. It didn't work
so I reverted to a dot-free name. Later I found that there is a
15 character limit on domain names. I'm wondering if this was
the cause of the domain name not being valid rather than the
existance of the dot.

Thanks.

--
Steve Feehan