[Samba] Desperately need help with two printer issues

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Mon Dec 6 16:26:01 GMT 2004

I just moved a new user onto my Samba server.  He needs two things, and
neither of them work!

1.  When he tries to access one of the printers, he gets Access denied.  Only
for one of them.  I can't find anything in the logs.  When I try to access
the printer as his user, I get:
 [2004/12/06 11:16:59, 5] smbd/uid.c:change_to_root_user(296)
   change_to_root_user: now uid=(0,0) gid=(0,0)

I don't think it's right.  I have no idea why it's doing that.  He is a local
admin but a domain admin.  Also this printer needs to have the drivers
installed locally, though most of the printers have their drivers on the
server.

2.  He needs some of the printers to map to local lpt ports.  In the login
script I'm using "net use LPT1: \\server\printer" but when I go into printer
properties, I don't see it mapped to a local port.  Am I doing it wrong?
Before, we used Novell, and use the Novell printer port capture facility.

It is a W2K client, server has Samba 3.0.9 with CUPS printing.

Thanks in advance,
Misty