[Samba] Advanced server config question

Fred samba at fredsnet.org
Mon Dec 6 16:20:56 GMT 2004

Greetings,

I have an advanced config question that I'm hoping the Samba Gods can
help me with in regards to feasibility and execution.  I'll give the
concept of what I want to do, followed by the details of my present
config.

I have a functioning samba 3.0.8pre2 server that is multihomed.  The
100Mb line is attached to our main network. the 1Gb line is attached to
a private 1Gb lan used for backing up our file servers.  It is a member
server in a W2k3 Active directory domain and its working fine.

This is the directory structure of the data being shared, the samba
shares are defined on the eng, prod, and ext levels on the primary
100Mb interface.

/data/shares/eng
/data/shares/prod
/data/shares/ext

This is what I would like to do.

   I would like to keep the shares already defined intact sharing out
on the 100Mb lan

   I would like to share to the private 1Gb lan because we have
started to use a near-online backup strategy using a dir-sync tool.  we
do a basic copy with ntfs permissions from the file servers to the
backup server's array, from this array, we create the backup tapes.

so far so good.

   I would like to share the file system at the /data/shares level for
backup simplicity, but i'm aware that it might not be possible to share
at that level because there are subordinate directories already shared.

   This part is a little more important.  The machine is registering
itself in wins; registering the various services and names as its
supposed to. is there a way to prevent the server from registering the
server's 1Gb private lan shares in wins on the primary interface?  and
if so,  how do I do it?

    My concern is that if I share out to the secondary 1Gb private
lan, and it registers itself in wins, that our client machines won't be
able to resolve the server sometimes because the client on the main
network recieved the 192.168.0.x address from wins.

is this setup feasible? what are my options? and how do I go about
setting this up?

below, I will provide my smb.conf

Regards

Fred Dussault

also,  if there are any glaring mistakes in my config, I'll appreciate
any constructive criticism...   Thanks!

# Global parameters
[global]
       workgroup = US
       realm = US.RAY.COM
       server string = Samba 3.08pre2 Server
       interfaces = eth0
       security = ADS
       auth methods = winbind
       password server = eadc-gc101.us.ray.com
       log level = 1
       log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
       max log size = 50
       name resolve order = wins bcast host lmhosts
       server signing = auto
       #socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
       os level = 5
       preferred master = No
       local master = No
       domain master = No