[Samba] net user add <username> <password>

Doro Schill doroschill at web.de
Mon Dec 6 07:26:41 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'm using Samba 3.0 as a PDC on SuSE Linux 9.1.
I want to add a samba user using the command "net user add <username> <password>". But always when I use this command I receive the message that I have to specify the user. But according to the man page that is the way how to do it...
Has anyone experiences with this command?

Until a few days ago I used smbpasswd -a username password to create a user with password, but that's not working anymore (command smbpasswd is unknown). Someone told me that smbpasswd will be replaced by net command and he assumed that because of an automatic online update I have done the smbpasswd command is disabled/removed. Anyone knows if that's true?
Is there a way to reactivate the smbpasswd command apart from reinstalling samba completly?

Just in general: what is to prefer - smbpasswd or net?

Thanks in advance!