[Samba] ldap configuration oddity

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Fri Dec 3 17:55:30 GMT 2004

>When I run testparm against it I get:
>Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
>Unknown parameter encountered: "ldap server"
>Ignoring unknown parameter "ldap server"
>   and then the rest of my config file INCLUDING
>passdb backend = ldapsam:ldaps://accounts.iwu.edu

Where exactly did you read that you needed an ldap server = directive?
Make sure that your docs aren't for an old version of samba.  I never
used ldap with 2.2, but there may have been an option like that there.
You can always use SWAT, naturally it will only give you directives that
are valid for this version, of course the syntax is up to you, but
there's help for that.

The proper syntax for 3.0.x should be something like this for a non-SSL
server:
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://your.servers.fqdn

To find out what your server was compiled with, use the following command:
smbd -b

grep for LDAP in that and you will get a good idea of what came in it.
Fedora packages are LDAP ready by default.

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322