[Samba] DFS slow -- UNC fast -- why would this be ?

Greg greg at fqdn.com
Fri Dec 3 17:30:55 GMT 2004

butter fingers,  sorry....

Hello,
   A week has passed and we are still spinning our wheels trying to work
this out..  If anyone has a recommendation as to what I should try I'd
love to hear it,  thanks.
Our PDC is running older code of the TNG w/LDAP branch (0.3.2).
The DFS service is running on another machine,  have tried both samba
2.2.3 and 3.0.8/9.  Results do not change using either version.  We have
even moved it to more robust hardware and placed it on a gigabit segment.
The file servers are running mostly 3.0.x,  while some are 2.2.3. There
is about 150 client machines on the network.

The problem:  Using UNC paths,  we see threwput as expected,  the test
file takes 1-2 seconds to write.  going threw the N: drive (which maps
to the DFS root on the DFS server)  times go up to and beyond 60
seconds.  This is not consistent.  sometimes it will write to N: drive
mounted shares as fast as UNC,  but most of the time not.   Using the
UNC path always performs in a consistent, fast manner.
What might I do to trouble shoot this?  Thanks for your help.

greg