[Samba] printer shares: PDF queue

Harald Milz milz at seneca.muc.de
Fri Dec 3 15:31:27 GMT 2004

As you know, Samba up to and including 3.0.8 contains a share "pdf" which
is meant to convert an incoming postscript job to PDF. At least in SUSE
Linux as well as the Sernet RPMs this is broken because as documented
"print command" is ignored if Samba is compiled against libcups and
"printing=cups" (see smb.conf man page lines 4564 ff. in 3.0.8 and
Chap. 18 of the HOWTO under "Default UNIX System Printing Commands").

A workaround is to set printing=bsd after which this works fine. I am
told SUSE is working on the problem. The share looks as follows:

        printing = bsd
[pdf]
        comment = PDF creator
        path = /var/tmp
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/smbprngenpdf -J '%J' -c %c -s %s -u '%u' -z %z
        create mask = 0600
        use client driver = yes

Anyway, I set up such a queue for a customer and he would like to have
a second one (one for color and one for black & white, as if anyone
used the B&W queue when he can use color...). But - when I create an
identical stanza, users cannot connect to the second one and get a
connection refused error. Chapter 18 of the HOWTO ("Print Commands")
suggests one can create multiple printer shares like this but why won't
this work for me? This is with Samba-3.0.8-Sernet-SUSE on SLES9. The
server is an AD domain member of a W2003 domain. AD integration works,
i.e. "getent passwd" gives us 20,000+ entries.

In any case, the "doesn't work" bug should be resolved. I don't understand
why a "print command" shouldn't work if we're running against CUPS,
except if it's explicitly designed like that. If so - why?  And the "use
client driver = yes" should be the default for this share otherwise the
customer gets utterly confused by the notorious "Access denied" status
of the pdf queue :-(

While we're at it, is there any way to set the printer location (i.e. the
AD subtree for searching purposes) in the Samba config? I doubt this
very much but I just don't want to miss anything.

While we're at it ^2, if the krbtgt is valid for a week, and it expires,
what happens to the ads join? Will the machine still be a domain member,
or do we actually have to kinit once a week?

TIA^2!