[Samba] root ownership on some profile files cause login errors

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Fri Dec 3 14:11:23 GMT 2004

On Thursday 02 December 2004 19:10, Justin Zachor wrote:
> Okay, I'm making progress... here's a better directed question:
>
> The problem is that when a profile is created on the Samba server
> (pushed up from the Win2K client by "Copy To..." dialog, run as Local
> Admin) some of the profile files are owned by root and not readable by
> group or other. This task is performed by a local Administrator, and
> using my account "zippy" as the PDC admin login
> (admin users = @ntadmin) (I'm in Unix group 'ntadmin')

The process I have found that works for copying the profiles around is:
1.  Set up the user's account in Samba.
2.  Log in as the user on the user's workstation.
3.  Log out and log back in as LOCAL administrator.
4.  In the "Copy To" dialog, choose the c:\documents and settings\username
directory, not the \\server\profiles\username share.
5.  Log out as local administrator, log in as domain user.

This has worked flawlessly for me every time on W2K and WXP.  I cannot take
the credit for it as it was another user on this list that gave me the exact
process.  I've never had root owning any of the files in the user's profile
if I do it this way.

Misty