[Samba] mandatory profiles

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Thu Dec 2 11:05:19 GMT 2004

On Thursday 02 December 2004 03:34, Bjørn-Sverre Nøttum wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am running samba 3.0 on fc2 in a win2000 network.
>
> I want to use only mandatory profiles in the network, but can't get this to
> work properly. I have set up a "perfect user" on my local machine", and
> copied this profile to \\server\netlogon\Default User. I have also made
> this default profile mandatory by renaming ntuser.dat to ntuser.man.
>
> In smb.conf I have added: logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u
>
> Everything seems to work perfectly, and new users that log on get their
> profiles from \\server\netlogon\Default User - but the new users are not
> mandatory!!! In \\%L\profiles\%u I can see that the new users get a new
> ntuser.dat (and it is supposed to be ntuser.man!!).

First, do NOT copy a profile but rather migrate it using the Advanced User
Profile management tool on the Windows XPP/2KP client and add security access
for the group "Everyone".

Second, rename the NTUser.Dat file to NTUser.man

Third, on all client workstations set the profile to delete on exit if you
want to use a "Default User" profile from the netlogon share. If you do not
use a netlogon default user you need to rename the NTUser.Dat file in the
users' profile directory to NTUser.Man.

> How can I force the new users to be mandatory?? I thought it would be
> enough when the Default User was mandatory - obviously it was'nt.

See above. Have you followed the guidelines I provided in "Samba-3 by
Example"?  You can download it from:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf

See chapter 6 for very comprehensive data on how to configure roaming profiles
with folder redirection, etc. If any of this information does not work for
you please work with me so I can fix it. I detest inaccurate or incorrect
information.

Cheers,
John T.

--