[Samba] using samba through a VPN

Shawn Henderson shawn at techcoms.net
Thu Dec 2 06:43:03 GMT 2004

I am running a similiar setup. I have a main office running a T1 with a
linux firewall and a samba pdc/dhcp server behind it. On my satelite
office Im running a dsl connection with a dlink router with a samba
pdc/firewall/dhcp server behind it. (I never trust those little dsl
routers). I am using openvpn for this. I set the main pdc accross the T1
as a wins server and point the satelite office to it.. I am able to
browse both networks and share files with no problem.  The usernames and
passwords are the same with both servers and I can use cygwin and ultra
vnc to remotely manage by computer name .

I would worry about speed if you gonna authenticate across the vpn.
Especially if you plan on using roaming profiles..