[Samba] Re: Question about samba 3.0.9

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Thu Dec 2 00:43:31 GMT 2004

Richmond Dyes wrote:
> I have been setting up my domain server using FC2 and samba 3.0.9. First
> thing, for your information: In the notations in several sources, it
> tells you to user "logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u"  this is wrong.  It
> should be, "logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U".  Now that I spent 5 million
> hours banging my head on a wall with that, how do I get he exist
> desktops on my 2000/XP machines to move to my roaming profiles.  When I
> move a user now, it makes a new desktop.  I want to use the user's local
> desktop, just transfer it to the server.  any ideas?

If you have roaming profiles set up correctly on the server then the
following method will work.  I do it frequently when shifting users to
new machines.

1.  If there is an existing profile on the server for the user you want
to move, then delete it.
2. On the user's workstation, change the profile from local to roaming.
3. Log out and then back in as the user (maybe twice).
4. Confirm that a copy of the user's profile is now on the server.
5. Log in as the user from a different workstation.  The roaming profile
should be used and copied to the workstation.
6. If you want, change the user's profile from roaming to local on the
workstation.