[Samba] maintaining samba uid and gid in nt to ad migration

Paul Smith pauls at sccwrp.org
Wed Dec 1 17:13:44 GMT 2004

What is the best method for migrating the samba/winbind uid/gid when
moving from an nt4 domain to windows 2003 ad?

I have multiple samba 3.x servers running in an nt4 domain.  All
machines use "idmap uid = 10000-20000" and "idmap gid = 10000-20000" in
smb.conf using winbind to maintain security on files and folders.  When
I move my samba 3.x test servers from nt4 domain to 2003 ad the uid/gid
doesn't match, and thus all security is lost.

I have read about using an ldap backend to maintain a single mapping
between machines, but this would seem to be to late in my case since
the machines already have different uid/gid between them.

Thanks,

Paul Smith