[Samba] LDAP authentication only with SAMBA

Angel Galindo Muñoz agalindo at ub.edu
Wed Dec 1 10:58:11 GMT 2004

	Hi!

	Well, I'll give you my point of view according to what I have
understood in howto-collection and my samba experiencie:

	Using LDAP, Samba distinguishes two things:
	-a) authentication against the UN*X account
	-b) all the other SAMBA-accounting data (expiration, ntpassword ,
lmpassword,  ...).

	No matter if you use ldapsam , the users will still have to be
authenticated against the UN*X accounts database. So, if you use NSS +
PAM + LDAP you can do that those credentials be checked against the LDAP
(using pamldap or pamunix) (pamunix is prefered because the passwd moves
encrypted through the network).

	This way you can avoid using the LDAP posix scheme and put all
SAMBA-accounting data on your files (smbpasswd...) and doing the first
authentication against LDAP (posixaccount...) but you have to remember
that you allways have to check LMPassword and NTPassword, which should
also be set, and they are part of SAMBA accounting data.

	So, you'll have to set and change user's passwords both in LDAP and
smbpassword file. This way I can't find any advantage on keeping ldap
authentication but still having data on smbpasswd file. If you are going
to authenticate agains LDAP I think is better to put all the data also
on LDAP and it will be easier for you to maintain your accounting database.

	Hope it helps, James!

--
Angel Galindo Muñoz
agalindo at ub.edu