[Samba] Re: Re: SAMBA / LDAP / Domain Password change problem

John Schmerold john at katy.com
Wed Dec 1 06:47:06 GMT 2004

First I setup DHCP on the server - we were using the Linksys router to
provide DHCP

Then did following:
service smb stop ; service winbind stop ; rm -f
/var/cache/samba/wins.dat ; service smb start ; service winbind start
Same problem

I looked at the log file for one of the computers that won't join the
domain. It says the following:
cat  /var/log/samba/log.ron_laptop
[2004/11/30 11:25:24, 0] passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldapsam_add_sam_account(1870)
  ldapsam_add_sam_account: failed to modify/add user with uid =
ron_laptop$ (dn = uid=ron_laptop$,ou=Computers,dc=twinoakschurch,dc=org)
[2004/11/30 11:25:24, 0] rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:_samr_create_user(2277)
  could not add user/computer ron_laptop$ to passdb.  Check permissions?

Any ideas?

To summarize, we can't change user passwords at the workstations &
several PCs won't attach to the domain.

John