[Samba] smbd won't start - new installation

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Wed Dec 1 03:06:58 GMT 2004

Al,

    Never used swat, but on Suse, use:

#rcnmb stop
#rcsmb stop

to kill the processes. Then just start them manually and check to logs.

#rcnmb start
#rcsmb start

Suse has split the scripts that start smbd and nmbd so it is possible swat
is having problems. I have samba 3.07 running fine on Suse 9.0 and Mdk 7.2.

Another possibility is that one of the processes has died and has left a
lock file or PID file around that is giving you problems. After stopping the
daemons, check for leftover lock of PID files and nuke them if found and try
restarting.

(These are just stabs from past posts I have read)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin * Bertin, PLLC