[Samba] Samba shares issue

Mark Huff mhuff at pegasus.yi.org
Wed Dec 1 01:05:14 GMT 2004

I have a company that uses Debian and Samba.  I have created three shared
folders on the server and the users connect to them from win2K workstations
using a common user ID login.  Users can also connect via VPN via pop-top
VPN server.

The problem is that when editting a file locally then trying to save back to
the samba share, Windows Excel (or other program) will tell the user that
the file has been modified and do they wish to overwrite or save as a new
copy.  However, if i connect in via VPN, map to the share using the common
user ID, I can open, change, and re-save files without getting this error.

Has anyone come accross this and if so what can i do to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

---