[Samba] OS/2 error while accessing samba share

Listen lists at kukkukk.com
Tue Aug 31 22:09:23 GMT 2004

Hi again,

I'm not a samba expert - but have used OS/2 since its first
version 1.0 - 16bit / textmode only... - but times are changing.

OS/2 now usually uses the LANMAN2.1 SMB-protocol, which is
somewhat outdated today - but most (all?) of these protocol features
seem to be implemented into samba 3.x.
But the critical thing with OS/2 is not the LANMAN2.1 protocol,
it's the (special) usage of extended attributes (EAs).
Newer linux filesystems support "semantics like EAs", but samba has
"to correctly identify all the OS/2 EAs" and then "pass them over to
unix..." - and back.
And - there are still uncovered "glitches" inside the SMB protocol, which
sometimes also result from bugs in the client OS.
And MS is very busy to add new stuff to SMB...

When you use OS/2 and an external samba server, a good
starting point is the commandline.
But be warned - the possibly used shell(s)
     cmd.exe
     4os2.exe
     ksh.exe
and also external programs (i.e. xcopy.exe) may behave very
different in respect to warnings, errors and extended attributes.
copy /? or xcopy /? may show you some options, you have
never had a closer look before.
    copy /F   src dst
    xcopy /F src dst
should fail, if src and dst have a different "support" of EAs.
In reality this is often a different story.

How to start (in textmode)?

    net view \\linuxsmb                   // should list the shares on
"linuxsmb" server
    net use z: \\linuxsmb\myshare    // will "mount" drive z: to the samba
share
    z:
    dir c:                                       // show lokal dir - have a
look at EAs, too !!!!
                                                  // if README has EAs....
    dir z:                                       // show samba dir
    copy c:\README z:
    dir z:                                       // does README has (the
same) EAs????
    copy z:\README c:\mytmp    // copy it back into a temp dir (EAs???)
    ........                                      // mytmp should be a
directory on c:
!!! try also copy of files, which have large EAs (>160)

You may possibly notice a different behaviour of cmd.exe and 4os2.exe....

     z:
     mkdir z:\smbtst                     // create an *empty* remote subdir
     cd smbtst                             // and change to it
     dir                                       // cmd.exe might give you
error 161
                                                // cause samba 3.0.5.x
returns that
                                                // 4os2.exe ignores that, is
silent
Ok - that's all for now.

For all fellow (OS/2) friends - who use ethereal to cature the traffic.
You capture only those frames, which are really send "over the wire"!
If there are samba-bugs - or the feature is not yet implemented - you
will *not* capture anything at that critical point.
But - the developers often put debug messages at that "strange" points
of execution - which you can and *should* watch in the smb debuglog.

     smbcontrol smbd debug 10     // on your samba machine raise dbglvl

Now do all your testing and watch the debug log
     tail -f /var/log/samba/log.smbd     // or at a different place
Do not forget to reset the debuglevel lateron:
     smbcontrol smbd debug 0

And - just another note:
OS/2 by default does *not* look in the current directory when you
execute commands (like unix)!
BUT - in most cases - you will find something like "c:\mptn\bin;.;c:\tcpip"
 (notice the dot) in your PATH statement in config.sys or elsewhere.

So when capturing data with ethereal and your current directory is
a samba share and you use external commands like XCOPY, your
current samba-directory is first searched for it - and you will find that
(unwanted opens) in your capture.

Best wishes.

Guenter Kukkukk