[Samba] CIFS Proxy Server

Viswanath Ramachandran Viswanath.Ramachandran at bluejungle.com
Tue Aug 31 21:05:23 GMT 2004

Does anyone have knowledge of any CIFS Proxy Servers or using Samba as a
Proxy to another CIFS/SMB Server? Are there any documents or resources
on this topic? I am trying to implement a general purpose CIFS Proxy
Server (the proxy server would implement some authentication and
authorization for the SMB requests) which can proxy CIFS servers like
Samba or Windows.

One particularly hard problem I am facing, is that how to make the Proxy
act on behalf of the original user U on the client, rather than on
behalf of the user A that it is running as, when the challenge-response
mode of authentication is used (since the Proxy does not know the user
U's password),

Any pointers/ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Vishy