[Samba] NT4 domain: users not found

Kristian Rink krink at pm-planc.de
Tue Aug 31 14:21:35 GMT 2004

Hi all;

... trying to get a samba setup running atop debian gnu/linux, I am
stuck in a strange situation: I set up the samba box to be part of a
Windows NT 4 domain, did a net join (which obviously worked, at
least a computer account on the PDC was created) and configured the
machine to see the domain user accounts (wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g
are working, same as there are domain users listed while doing
"getent passwd").

Anyhow, accessing the machine using smbclient or the windows network
neighborhood constantly fails like this:

[2004/08/31 16:01:39, 5] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(271)
  check_ntlm_password: winbind authentication for user
[administrator] FAILED with error NT_STAT US_NO_SUCH_USER
[2004/08/31 16:01:39, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(312)
  check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [administrator] ->
[administrator] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

Looking at the logfile it seems that winbind is trying several
combinations like DOMAINNAME+username, DOMAINNAME+USERNAME,... but
is unable to locate the right user account. What is wrong here? I am
having a second machine set up the same way and there it works
without trouble... Any ideas, anyone?

TIA, have a nice afternoon...
Kris

--
Kristian Rink 	-- Programmierung/Systembetreuung
planConnect GmbH * Strehlener Str. 12 - 14 * 01069 Dresden
0176 24472771 * krink at pm-planc.de