[Samba] Ldap performance

malte.mueller at ewetel.net malte.mueller at ewetel.net
Tue Aug 31 11:33:20 GMT 2004

Hi,

I have very much the same Problem: 180 machines and about 3500 Accounts with
1200 active (once logged in) users. I tracked it down to the problem of slow
"group resolution". When a file oder directory is owned by a group with lots of
memberUID entries (e.g.: susers, all samba users), even ls -l slowFile takes
several seconds. If I used nscd it would time out and only respond with the
numerical groupID-number. I indexed everything important and watched for ldap
reporting non indexed attributes in the logfile. I tried to tune BDB and set the
entries cache to 10000. My process size is roughly the same as pereti's. I tried
several versions of ldap, currently 2.1.21, but nothing helped.
This is IMHO not a samba but OpenLDAP or nsswitch problem.

Sincerely,
Malte Müller