[Samba] can't open files off of samba shared drive on w2k/xpworkstations

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Mon Aug 30 20:20:16 GMT 2004

Phillip,

    It sounds like a file permission problem. Here are my permissions:

[root at Nemesis /root]# ls -al /home/samba
total 40
drwxrwxr-x    9 root     root         4096 Apr  5 16:45 ./
drwxr-xr-x   14 root     root         4096 Jul 15 14:23 ../
drwxrwxr-x    3 root     bertin       4096 Jul  2 14:12 bertin/
drwxrwxr-x    3 root     guillory     4096 Aug 10 20:14 guillory/
drwxrwxr-x    3 root     price        4096 May 13  2003 karren/
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Dec 15  2003 logon/
drwxrwxr-x    3 root     rankin       4096 Apr 13 13:32 rankin/
drwxrwxr-x   32 root     rbpllc       4096 Aug 27 10:17 rbpllc/

In my smb.conf I use:

[Rankin]
        path = /home/samba/rankin
        valid users = @rankin
        force group = rankin
        writeable = Yes
        map archive = Yes
        inherit permissions = Yes

I don't have any problems doubleclicking on word docs and having them open.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
RANKIN * BERTIN, PLLC