[Samba] Password problems

kent at mail.wareham.mec.edu kent at mail.wareham.mec.edu
Mon Aug 30 15:32:46 GMT 2004

Hello,
I have a Samba/LDAP problem. I' using Samba v3.0.0 with LDAP backend
OpenLDAP v2.1.30.

I have 4 PDC and several BDCs in different buildings. Each of these has a
copy of the LDAP directory that I am replicating from a master LDAP
server. The problem I ran into is that the LDAP master is not on the PDC
it is on a standalone server that I also use for Cyrus IMAP authentication
and some web applications. It seems when I change passwords using
smbpasswd on the PDC the changes only make it to the LDAP copy on the PDC
and not to the LDAP master. I get a segmentation fault but the changes are
made in the directory. This also goes for the BDCs out in the field. Is
there anyway to redirect smbpasswd to change passwords on the LDAP master
so that all of the changes can then trickle down to the member servers?

When I add machine accounts to LDAP I wrote a script to search LDAP on the
master for an open UID then add the account information that I want added.
These changes then replicate down to the slave LDAP servers. I don't use
/etc/passwd for anything but the stock local accounts.

I suppose I could write a script using mkntpwd that would update the
master server, in that way the password changes would filter down to the
LDAP slaves.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Kent Nasveschuk