[Samba] Ldap performance

rruegner robert at ruegner.org
Mon Aug 30 14:13:18 GMT 2004

Hi, perhaps you should setup a bdc and a fallback ldap server
hosting user profiles and homes on a bdc smb server may be a good idea
too.
Changing ethernet nic to gigabit, or a better lan card (some of them are
well known to problems), changing
the partition type to reiser/nfs3/xfs, high your ram, or try to use some
performance parameters in smb.conf and in ldap.
Using a newer kernel may be a good solution too.
Have you run a name server relating to your networksetup (dns timeouts...)?
You should look in the log files what exact makes the problem, and use
tcpdump and top to see the network and memoryload.
log level higher than 2 can slow down performance, also
scanning files to viri in netlogon shares.
locking parameters may be set in netlogon...
Checking hardware switches and client nics for failure
ports.Broadcasts and unicast storms may slow down too,
...do all clients know their wins server?
Some of the gurus may help you out with info about
big setups, cause in such enviroment small failures may slow
down the system in extremo.

Best Regards