[Samba] template homdir vairable expansion

Barry Hunter Priest hunter at vet.purdue.edu
Fri Aug 27 19:25:16 GMT 2004

platform Mandrake 10.0 (with cooker)
samba: 3.0.6-2mdk (from mandrake cooker)

I am try to autocreate new user directories for users in my windows 2k3 ADS.
I'm joined to AD, it's all cool. wbinfo -u works,wbinfo -g works, getent
passwd username works.
pam_mkhomedir works.

i then changed template homedir to be
 template homedir = /home/%D/%G/%U

and created a new test user with a primary group of "ugrad"
 >getent group ugrad
ugrad:x:10003:

pam_mkhomedir will not create a user directory
<lots of creating and messing with home directories
[ugrad,geog+ugrad,UGRAD,etc]>

then i discover:
 >getent passwd ugtest
ugtest:x:10000:10003:ugrad, test:/home/GEOG/10003/ugtest:/bin/bash

Is the 10003 provided by the %G in template homedir supposed to be a
numeric group number or is it supposed to be expanded to "ugrad"  ?

Thanks
Barry