[Samba] smbpasswd complains about LDAP: "Object class violation"

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Fri Aug 27 15:50:32 GMT 2004

Here's more info for anyone who's interested:

Quite the opposite of what I expected, smbldap-useradd.pl is not using
sambaAccount as the structural objectClass; it's not using it *at
all*.  Here's a sample:

-----------------------------
# ldapsearch -LLL -b "ou=machines,o=nebrwesleyan.edu,o=isp" "uid=guinea*"
dn: uid=guinea-pig$,ou=Machines,o=NebrWesleyan.edu,o=isp
objectClass: top
objectClass: posixAccount
cn: guinea-pig$
uid: guinea-pig$
uidNumber: 1001
gidNumber: 1
homeDirectory: /dev/null
loginShell: /bin/false
-----------------------------

Adding the sambaAccount objectClass manually helped, actually; now I
get this:

-----------------------------
# ./smbpasswd -a -m guinea-pig$
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as "cn=directory manager"
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as "cn=directory manager"
failed to modify user with uid = guinea-pig$ with: Object class
violation

Password changed for user guinea-pig$.
Failed to modify entry for user guinea-pig$.
Failed to modify password entry for user guinea-pig$

Again, though, setting the debug level to 10 doesn't help much.  And
again, there's still an object class violation.  Anyone have any ideas
what this one might be?  Thanks.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University