[Samba] Re: PDF printing with printing = CUPS

Eugenio Ruivo eugenio.ruivo at spel-parques.pt
Fri Aug 27 10:09:00 GMT 2004

It's actually very simple, you just define a new printer as you normaly
would with CUPS.
Since I use Mandrake I tend to use there config front end, but you can use
whatever your
Distro provides or just go to CUPS own interface at http://localhost:631.

Since I don't know what you use I'll use this last option as a guideline.
Select "Administration" then "Add Printer", fill in the printer information,
click "Continue".
This is now where the pdf part comes into place.
On the Device list you should have an option "PDF Writing" that you should
select, click "Continue" which
Takes you to the page where you define the type of device in URI form.
Here you should put pdf:<path_to_output_location> where
<path_to_output_location> is the path to the
default location of output file in the event that the user's home dir cannot
be identified.
Click "Continue" to complete the process giving details for the virtual
printer, it doesn't matter
which printer make/model you choose as long as it's a postscript printer (I
used HP Color Laserjet 4600).
As far as CUPS is concerned you're done.

>From now on you'll see your new "printer" as you would any other on the
system, from a Windows client connect
to it through Samba as with any other printer, just remember, you PDF
Printer expectes postscript so be sure to
setup your windows clients acordingly.

I hope this helps clarify the usage, if you still have problems let me know.

Regards,
Eugenio Ruivo