[Samba] open_sockets_smbd: accept: Software caused connection abort

Steve McKenna mckennst at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 27 06:52:32 GMT 2004

Sorry if this is an FAQ...I have seen reports of this problem on several
mailing lists, but never a solution.

I have used Samba on Solaris for years, currently 2.2.1 on Solaris
9.  Trying to upgrade to 3.0.6, with no luck on 2 different Solaris 9
systems.  It compiles and installs OK, but clients can't connect.  Not only
Win2k and XP PC's, but smbclient -L on the same machine can't connect.  For
each failed attempt, log.smbd says:

[2004/08/25 02:51:48, 0] smbd/server.c:open_sockets_smbd(383)
   open_sockets_smbd: accept: Software caused connection abort

I'm using my same smb.conf file from 2.2.1.  It's basically the same as
examples/smb.conf.default in the distribution, and substituting that exact
file gives the same result.

One more weirdness:  each time a client fails to connect (as above), samba
X's out the encrypted password for that user in my smbpasswd file.

Can anybody help?

TIA
Steve