[Samba] Samba Printing

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Aug 26 19:11:18 GMT 2004

Doug,

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 11:39:04AM -0400, Douglas Sterner wrote:
> Using Samba 3.05 and cups I'm having some trouble getting documents to
> print thru CUPS in raw mode. Documents print fine from the server but not
> from an XP client. When I used  the following print
> command statement for troubleshooting the job is getting to the Samba
> server spool directory for that printer. The CUPS admin page never sees
> the job and no errors are given. Everything looks like it has printed just
> nothing comes out of the printer. When I print a test page from the server
> it prints and the job shows up in cups.

	I've been having a similar problem.  I had been able to print
with Samba 3.0.2a but something changed in 3.0.3 and after and I've
been unable to print from a Windows client with any version since.
There's an open bug, 1464, in Bugzilla, posted by someone else, describing
a similar problem.  I've gotten traces and logs up for some of the other
team members to look at.  This is happening at both sites where I have Samba
set up as a print server and I had to downgrade one site and install a
print server at the other.  Note that downgrading may not be advisable
due to security concerns as well as a spooler segfault problem in 3.0.2a.

	May also be related to bug 1644 but only one of my two sites
is running CUPS.

	I'm hoping to hear more before too long.  Is there any chance you
can run a test with 3.0.2a just to see if it works?

	There must be a lot of people who have later versions printing
just fine.  I just don't know what the parameter or conditions are that
are delineating those who are working and those who are not.

> print command = cp %s /var/spool/samba/dell5300n/testprint.prn

	I can print anything from the server, either through the CUP's
management page (one site is CUPS, one is LPRng) or by enscript or lpr.
All the Linux printing works fine.  But I can't print a test page from
any Windows client.  No errors, but no print job ever hits the print queue.

	:

	The team already has the URL for my traces and data.  Available
on request for anyone else.