[Samba] 3.0.6 and pam_winbind problems (sernet)?

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Thu Aug 26 14:30:15 GMT 2004

Recently I upgraded a server from samba 3.0.2a to 3.0.6, and now apache
won't authenticate properly with pam_winbind.  Winbind's been restarted,
apache has been restarted, for grins I even rebooted the server.

>From /var/log/messages:
Aug 26 10:24:51 linps2 pam_winbind[654]: user 'jarboed' granted acces

>From apache's error log:
[Thu Aug 26 10:24:51 2004] [error] (2)No such file or directory: access
to /cgi-bin/print/modify/modify.py failed for 10.176.156.41, reason:
User not known to the underlying authentication module

This is on SLES8 s390 using the sernet srpms.  To break it, I upgrade to
the new rpms, to fix it, I rpm -Uhv --oldpackage to the old ones.  I can

The apache behavior is kind of strange too, it doesn't prompt for
another password, just immediately returns the 401 Authentication
Required.

/etc/pam.d/httpd is only:
auth            required        /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
account         required        /lib/security/pam_winbind.so

Since the only thing changing is the version of samba installed, does
anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
~ Daniel