[Samba] VSS and Samba on Tru64 Unix

Davis, Rob DAVISRJ at sysadm.suny.edu
Wed Aug 25 20:23:31 GMT 2004

Good Afternoon All.

Please forgive me if this is an often-asked question, but ...

We're trying to get the ability to have users in the same UNIX group be able to check-in and check-out files from a VSS repository.  All users in a defined unix group should be able to copy, edit, and delete any file created by any other user in that group.

As most of you probably already know, this works fine if the user checking the file out is the same as the user checking it in.   But if the user trying to check out a file is not the original user (ie. the unix user-owner) of the file, VSS dies, since it can't remove the windows READ attribute from the file in question.

Is there a workaround?  Is this perhap fixed in Samba 3.0?  (We're on 2.2.7).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

Robert Davis, OSCC