[Samba] Samba Printing

Douglas Sterner DSterner at arnoldtrans.com
Wed Aug 25 15:39:04 GMT 2004

Using Samba 3.05 and cups I'm having some trouble getting documents to
print thru CUPS in raw mode. Documents print fine from the server but not
from an XP client. When I used  the following print
command statement for troubleshooting the job is getting to the Samba
server spool directory for that printer. The CUPS admin page never sees
the job and no errors are given. Everything looks like it has printed just
nothing comes out of the printer. When I print a test page from the server
it prints and the job shows up in cups.

print command = cp %s /var/spool/samba/dell5300n/testprint.prn

Question 1: What is a print command to use for raw printing thru cups

Question 2: What are the correct permissions user/group for the
/var/spool/samba/dell5300n  spool directory.

[global]

        server string = Camp Hill File/Print Server
        printcap name = cups
        printer admin = dsterner
        guest ok = Yes
        printing = cups
        cups options = raw
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -d%p %s
# print command = /usr/bin/lp -c -d%p -oraw
# print command = cp  %s /var/spool/samba/dell5300n/testprint.prn
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpstat -o '%p'
        lprm command = /usr/bin/cancel '%p-%j'
        lppause command = /usr/bin/lp -i '%p-%j' -H hold
        lpresume command = /usr/bin/lp -i '%p-%j' -H resume
        queuepause command = /usr/bin/disable '%p'
        queueresume command = /usr/bin/enable '%p'

[printers]
        comment = CHPA - Complete printer share
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printer admin = @ntadmin, root, dsterner
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[print$]
        comment = Printer Driver Download Area
        path = /data/samba/drivers
        write list = @ntadmin, root, dsterner
        guest ok = Yes

[scans]
        comment = Scanned documents from the Dell 1600N Printers
        path = /data/samba/shared/printer-scans
        read only = No
        force create mode = 0755
        force directory mode = 0755

[CH-5300N]
        comment = CH Operations Dell 5300N Laser Jet
        path = /var/spool/samba/dell5300n
        printer admin = @ntadmin, root
        hosts allow = 192.168.10.
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        printer name = CH Operations Dell 5300N Laser Jet

Douglas Sterner