[Samba] samba password change

Andrea Lorenz lorenz at rz.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Aug 25 11:49:02 GMT 2004

Hello guys,

I have a samba 3.0.4 file server on Fedora 1 running. If I change the password on the samba server,
everything works fine. If I change the password on a other linux machine (with Fedora 1 and samba
3.0.4, too) with smbpasswd -r software, I get the error message
machine software rejected the password change: Error was : RAP86: The specified password is invalid.
Failed to change password for ae106lo

This problem seems to only occur if the character '§' is used in the password.
If I use a password without this character, everything works fine, too.

Can anybody reproduce this behavior?

Thanks,
Andrea