[Samba] Re: Strange update problem 3.0.5->3.0.6 with XP-Clients

Georg Hoermann ghoermann at hydrology.uni-kiel.de
Wed Aug 25 05:56:17 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 25 August 2004 03:09, Michael Lueck wrote:
> Georg Hoermann wrote:
> > normally users are validated through the domain, there are no local
> > accounts, I just used one for testing.
>
> No no no.... that domain account still got you onto the Windows OS.
> And depending on your configuration you get different permissions to
> affect the local Windows OS while you are logged into it with that
> domain account. That's what I am talking about. "Access Denied"
> 'round here was triggered by the domain or local account on the
> Windows box having local admin permissions.

o.k. switching back to 3.0.5 was less complicated and works
with the same smb.conf files (3.0.6 also messed up the
passsword-file, was not readable by 3.0.5).

Anyway a short summary of the mess:

after the upgrade

- win98 clients worked o.k. (read, write, everything)
- Xp clients were able to log in (domain machine Acccount),
  they could list files, they could even *write* files, but they
  could not read files.
  Same phenomenon for XP Sp1 and Sp2, Professional and
  home version, for users with local and network-only accounts.
  Upgrade from 3.0.6-1 to 3.0.6-2 did not solve anything.

Thanks and Greetings...

Georg

--
Georg Hoermann, Fachabteilung Wasserwirtschaft / Dep. Hydrology
Ecosystem Research Center, Kiel University, Germany