[Samba] XP Can't Join Domain

Joshua Schmidlkofer menion at asylumwear.com
Tue Aug 24 20:45:56 GMT 2004

Daniel R. Meigs wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. The problem was having the computers in ou=Computers.
> I put them in ou=People and the problem was solved.
>
> --Dan

Daniel:

   I deleted the following options from the smb.conf

#ldap user suffix = ou=People
#ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers

But I left the options set in my smbldap.conf.

usersdn="ou=Users,dc=mydc,dc=com"
computersdn="ou=Computers,dc=mydc,dc=com"

I set my nss_ldap as such:

nss_base_passwd  dc=mydc,dc=com?sub
nss_base_shadow  dc=mydc,dc=com?sub

---

The end result is some extra sub queries - which is ok for me.  I also
get the benefit of having the logical separation between the Users and
Computers.   I really like that.   I am still limited by uid names, and
I can think of a few other unsavory situations.   However, I do like it
that way and it works very nicely.

I am glad you got yours going.

thanks,
   Joshua