[Samba] Re: Getting netbios alias to work

Mac mac at nibsc.ac.uk
Tue Aug 24 14:08:54 GMT 2004

Hi all,

>To: samba at lists.samba.org
>From: Michael Lueck <mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com>
>Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:42:33 -0400
>
>Windows Clients / Servers do not allow you to NET USE to an alias, only the
>real computer name or IP address. I mentioned that a while ago on this
> list... don't remember ever seeing a response to
>clarify that is also the expected behavior.

This is simply not true.  I can use:-

	NET USE * \\origin\sites

or

	NET USE * \\origine\sites

to connect from my Windows XP (SP1) computer to my Samba server.  The
first is the real name (DNS name, and NetBIOS name).  The second is a
NetBIOS alias.  No DNS.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 641565          Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)