[Samba] CIFS Server 2.2j Pb with locking : No locks available

eric roseme eroseme at emonster.rose.hp.com
Tue Aug 24 13:36:47 GMT 2004

You probably did not tune nflocks for Samba.  The default kernel
variable will be exhausted quickly with Samba due to the extensive tdb
locking.

As long as you are doing nflocks, you might as well do the other stuff too:

  nflocks
  (10*maximum smbd)+(other apps + system)
  example 1000 connected clients and baseline NFS system
  (10*1000)+(2048) = 12048

  nfile
  ((23+opens_per_smbd)*maximum smbd)+(other apps+system))
  example 1000 connected clients and baseline NFS system
  ((23+7)*1000)+(8192)=38192

  nproc
  (maximum smbd)+(other apps+system)
  example 1000 connected clients and baseline NFS system
  (1000)+(1024)=2024

Eric Roseme
Hewlett-Packard